Saturday, August 2, 2008

The sea snail: - Balitong



This is a sea snail that I can find from the "Hutan Paya Bakau" not far from my house. some name it balitong, some name it siput sedut. For me, it is "Hang lo lo". Dont ask me why, I don't know, my late father thought me this way. :)

It is always tempting to me and I love it so much. Another food that you can hardly see now a day.

Before cooking balitong, we need to clean it because it will full of mud (of course, it live in the muddy paya bakau). Also need to chip of the tail so that you can suck the flesh out from the spiral shell.

Have you ever tasted this? Do you know how to eat this ? haha...
When I was a kid, my late father always prepared it with sweet potato, curry powder, chili powder if you want it hot, a lot of spices, onion, garlic and coconut milk. Hm... really missed it. My late father was a good cook.

I also can find this balitung in some hawker stall in KL, but most of them stir fried with "Kam Heong" style.

I also had discovered a Malay cooking style :- Masak Lemak. All tasted good but I still missed my late father's cooking...

You need to have the technique to suck out the flesh from the spiral shell. Just like you are kissing your lover. Some may suffer for hours but just cannot eat it... haha....

No comments: